Wind & Photo voltaic Energy Present Extra Electrical energy Than Coal In USA

[ad_1]

Join every day information updates from CleanTechnica on e mail. Or comply with us on Google Information!


There’s a humorous false impression hanging round that coal supplies nearly all the electrical energy for the USA, or not less than most of it. Those that like to hate on electrical autos are fond of claiming that EVs are powered by coal. A decade or two in the past, sure, that was more likely to be the case. Immediately, coal has shrunk enormously as a US electrical energy supply, and it doesn’t even present as a lot as photo voltaic and wind energy collectively — not less than, not in current months.

In October, 6% of US electrical energy got here from solar energy and 10.8% got here from wind. So, collectively, we bought 16.8% of our electrical energy from photo voltaic and wind. In contrast, coal supplied simply 15.2% of the nation’s electrical energy. This can be a crossover from final yr in the identical month — 15.6% of electrical energy had come from wind and photo voltaic whereas 17% of electrical energy had come from coal. And it’s an much more dramatic departure from October 2021 — 14% of electrical energy had come from wind and photo voltaic whereas 19.3% of electrical energy had come from coal.

If we take a look at January–October, coal simply barely edges out wind and solar energy — 15.9% of US electrical energy got here from coal whereas 15.6% got here from wind and photo voltaic mixed. Once more, although, the pattern is obvious — in January–October 2022, the cut up was 19.5% for coal and 14.9% for wind and photo voltaic; in January–October 2021, the cut up was 22.3% for coal and 12.7% for wind and photo voltaic. You possibly can see how briskly issues are altering.

What about if we take a look at renewables as an entire?

Naturally, combining all renewables, they do considerably higher than coal. Collectively, renewable vitality sources accounted for 23.7% of electrical energy in October, in comparison with 15.2% from coal. That’s an enchancment from 21% from renewables in October 2021 and 19.3% from coal. Nevertheless, let’s be sincere, if combining all renewables, we must always mix all fossil fuels, and that also exhibits how soiled our electrical energy grid is. “Pure gasoline” (aka fossil gasoline) accounted fro a whopping 42% of US electrical energy in October. Mixed with coal, that will be 57.2% of electrical energy. The determine could be 42.6% for all fossil fuels mixed.

January–October, the distinction is slightly tighter. Renewables equaled 22.8% of electrical energy manufacturing, whereas coal equaled 15.9%. Okay, nicely, that’s not a contest. However neither is a comparability between renewable vitality assets and fossil fuels. That’s up from 20.4% for renewables and 22.3% from coal.

You possibly can view interactive variations of those charts beneath. Be aware that they give the impression of being and function a lot better on a traditional laptop relatively than a smartphone.

Keep tuned for extra electrical energy experiences on CleanTechnica quickly.


Have a tip for CleanTechnica? Wish to promote? Wish to counsel a visitor for our CleanTech Discuss podcast? Contact us right here.


Our Newest EVObsession Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=videoseries


I do not like paywalls. You do not like paywalls. Who likes paywalls? Right here at CleanTechnica, we carried out a restricted paywall for some time, but it surely all the time felt incorrect — and it was all the time powerful to determine what we must always put behind there. In concept, your most unique and finest content material goes behind a paywall. However then fewer individuals learn it!! So, we have determined to fully nix paywalls right here at CleanTechnica. However…

 

Like different media corporations, we’d like reader assist! Should you assist us, please chip in a bit month-to-month to assist our group write, edit, and publish 15 cleantech tales a day!

 

Thanks!


Commercial



 


CleanTechnica makes use of affiliate hyperlinks. See our coverage right here.




[ad_2]

Supply hyperlink